Technology will not live up to its potential until we start to think of it less like televisions and more like paint brushes . That is we need to start seeing our computer screens not simply as information machines, but also as a new medium for creative design and expression.The more we learn about the abilities of technology , the more creative we become.
Formative assessment includes a range of formal and informal assessment procedures conducted by teachers during the learning process in order to modify teaching and learning activities to improve students attainment.
this can occur in any form either as a quiz, test, group task, collaborations among learners etc
With technology formative assessment is made easy for teachers and makes learning fun for both teachers and learners.
Actually, the overall school system has contributed towards the deterioration of creativity in students. This system makes children victims of education agenda where certain subjects and skills are prioritize over others to prepare for rustic and monotonous careers which require mechanical and systemic thinking rather than critical thinking and intellectual creativity.
All this calls for a dire need to look for ways by which we can redress the situation and give back life to creativity and assessment in the classrooms using technology.
Technology which is something that students love and use the most can be of great help to teachers when it comes to formative assessment.
There are a lot of digital tools that can be used in formative assessment but i will limit my discussion to five of these tools.
1. kahoot: I have used kahoot in my class to engage my learners in formative assessment. This app generates a detailed report of wrong and right answers from each student, providing an instant easy to use assessment tool.
2. Socrative : This app allows you to provide detailed instructions with on the -fly questions that students can answer with their phones or tablets, allowing you to assess each student’s comprehension quickly and easily.
3. Power School learning: This handy learning management system works seamlessly with the popular power schools grading program to connect multiple platforms that you may use for instruction and assessment. It organizes your digital materials and provides one login for all your tools and apps in one place.
4. Chatzy: This apps allows you to easily create a channel for student dialogue. You can use it to facilitate deeper discussion , respond to questions, or to easily generate or create a virtual chat room and invite students to join and collaborate.
5. Animoto: If you are looking for a fun , engaging way for students to share what they have learnt, this tool is perfect for you. Learners can show off their knowledge by making and sharing their own short video on what they have learnt and teachers can assess them and give feedback immediately. This app is very useful in differential learning.
Feel free to explore any of these apps and tell me how you used it for formative assessment .